ANN: gigolo version 0.3.0 released

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Apr 2 23:49:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:46:28 +0200, Christian wrote:

>> >I'd rather like to see the long ones wrapped in two lines than
>> >everything becoming wide enough, ie:
>> >
>> >" dango auf gyokuro  "
>> >" sftp for christian "
>> >"    on lanedo.com   "
>> >
>> >Note the length of the longest line in this second example has
>> >decreased significantly for the same labels.
>>
>> Hmm, I played a bit with it and set wrap-width to 100, see the
>> resulting images on http://uvena.de/tmp/gigolo_mockup/ (to not flood
>> the list with the images).
>>
>> - gigolo_wide.png is the current state without changes
>> - gigolo_small.png is with wrap-width set to 100 and wrap-mode
>> PANGO_WRAP_WORD_CHAR
>> - gigolo_small_large_fonts.png is the same but with a significant
>> larger font size
>> - gigolo_small_centered.png - with additional set "alignment"
>> property to PANGO_ALIGN_CENTER
>> - gigolo_small_centered_large_fonts.png is the same but with a
>> significant larger font size
>>
>> As you can see, each change has its advantages and disadvantages.
>> Especially the large font size versions don't look good to me.
>> The wrapped labels left-aligned also look weired which is much better
>> in the centred versions but then the symbol is not more properly
>> horizontally aligned with the label.
>> Either I didn't find yet the right combination of the properties and
>> their values or I'm just to picky.
>> Honestly, I like the current version most.
>> What do you think?
>
>igolo_small_centered.png comes closest to what I would like but if
>there is no way to fix the large font version that's quite bad.
>
>I don't know how Thunar does it, it's probably because it has Exo's
>icon view. That always looked nice to me. I will just accept it, I have
>a limited number of mounts unlike what the file manager displays so
>just leave it like it is. :)

I do, for now. Maybe I'll play a bit more with it at some point.
Probably, Thunar uses Exo's icon view but it's quite a bit of code
(280KB :D) for adding in Gigolo just to have it. Depending on libexo is
also not an option just for the small change in displaying the icons.

In the meantime, I will happily accept patches :).

Regards,
Enrico