ANN: gigolo version 0.3.0 released

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Apr 1 21:19:50 CEST 2009

Am Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:05:10 +0200
schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:06:45 +0200, Christian wrote:
>
> >Am Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:48:17 +0000 (UTC)
> >schrieb enrico.troeger at uvena.de:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> here we go with a new Gigolo release.
> >>
> >> Changes:
> >> * Add a 'Browse Network' side panel to browse for available
> >>   Samba/Windows network shares.
> >> * Detect an already running instance and show its window instead of
> >>   starting a new instance.
> >> * Add command line option "--new-instance" ("-i") to restore the
> >> old behaviour.
> >> * Use the GtkMountOperation dialog when additional authentication
> >>   information are needed. This implicitly allows choosing the
> >> method to store passwords (never, session, forever).
> >> * Minimise to tray when the close button is clicked instead of when
> >>   minimising the main window.
> >> * Add a new preference to set whether to show error message dialogs
> >>   when auto-connecting bookmarks.
> >> * Various fixes and improvements to URI handling.
> >> * Add a View menu to quickly change GUI preferences.
> >> * Add Online Help and Supported Protocols help menu items.
> >>

> >> Have fun,
> >> Enrico
> >
> >Hey,
> >
> >as you already know, I like the network share browser. :)
> >
> >A few comments in case you run out of bugs:
> >
> >Mounts with long labels, such as for example "sftp for
> >christian on lanedo.com" lead to quite a bit of padding. Maybe you
> >could enable wrap-width on the cell renderer?
>
> Hmm, what exactly do you mean by padding? Symbol or Detailed view?
> I just have no idea what could be wrong, sorry.

Symbol view. The empty space around each icon is always at least as
much to fit the longest text below the icon. So more visually:

"       dango auf gyokuro          "
" sftp for christian on lanedo.com "

I'd rather like to see the long ones wrapped in two lines than
everything becoming wide enough, ie:

" dango auf gyokuro  "
" sftp for christian "
"    on lanedo.com   "

Note the length of the longest line in this second example has
decreased significantly for the same labels.

Incidentally I wonder why some of my devices have English naming and
others German, like in the example. But that is probably GVfs' fault.

> >As a small note, I find it a little confusing that Show Panel and
> >View Icons options are in the preferences and the View menu under
> >different names. You might want to either adjust the naming or
> >remove the two options from the pref dialogue. But that's a minor
> >issue really.
>
> Yup, at least for the Show Panel preference, this is only intermittent
> as I plan to append a "Bookmarks" page to the panel, so it becomes
> just a side panel, not a 'Browse Network' panel. But well, the code
> still wants to be written :).
>
> What's wrong with the Symbols/Detailed options? They are both labelled
> as Symbols vs. Detailed in both, the preferences dialog and the View
> menu.
> Maybe I should change the combobox in the preferences dialog into two
> radio buttons like in the View menu?

My main confusion was the different wording and whether it was the
same as what the View menu options do.

I think the combobox is fine, if anything I think it should be more
specific since "View" is pretty generic in the context.

> >If you happen to be bored, it would be nice if Giggolo used my
> >default toolbar icon style and "Connect" was "important".
>
> "Connect" is now important as well as "EditBookmarks".
> Should anything else be important? I was never sure when to set items
> to be important, for me all are *not* but that's just me because I
> *know* what the buttons do :).

Cool, thanks a lot. Having 'important' buttons is as far as I am
concerned good for buttons one clicks regularly, ie. Connect is
something I do often. Edit bookmarks also seems like a good choice.

> Regarding the toolbar icon style, when starting without a config,
> Gigolo should pick up the GTK default style, it seems to do here.
>
> You could try deleting "toolbar_style" from ~/.config/gigolo/config
> and then start it. It should use the default value as found in the GTK
> setting "gtk-toolbar-style".

Ah, that helped. For some reason it was set to Icons before even though
it's not my default. Maybe it wasn't working in earlier versions.

ciao,
    Christian