xfce4-dict and WordNet

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:40:01 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> Didn't you already know that Xfce rocks?  :)

That's a fact. ^_^

> Ah ok, I see. So, then we can't do anything in xfce4-dict to help you
> connecting. If you only can access the net through a HTTP proxy, you
> _need_ some software which tunnels the traffic through the HTTP proxy.
> But this far beyong the scope of xfce4-dict.

One could argue that it does fit the scope. From what I understand,
xfce4-dict offers network-related functionality. It queries an
Internet server, dict.org, and displays the results within its own
window. I'm not sure how much differently these should be perceived,
but many Internet-related applications provide (a certain degree of)
support for people with "non-standard" connections to the Internet.
From GTK+2 applications, I could cite Pidgin, gFTP and xfce4-weather;
as far as I know, they do not rely on external libraries. To me, for
the dict.org, and hopefully the future WR.com functionality, it would
only be natural to see a proxy server support within xfce4-dict (say,
honouring *_proxy env variables).

> Unfortunately due to lack of experience with proxy servers, I can't
> help you much with this. Good luck anyway.

Thank you for having tried to find a solution.

Kind regards,
Liviu