xfce4-dict and WordNet

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Wed Sep 10 11:02:18 CEST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:17:09 +0200, "Liviu Andronic"
<landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Enrico,
>
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Enrico Tröger
> <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > Debian has a dict-wn package including WN 3.0, see
> > http://packages.debian.org/lenny/dict-wn.
> > I guess downloading the package, extracting the contents and copying
> > the dictionary file with the index file into /usr/share/dictd
> > should do the trick.
> >
> That's rather curious. They probably performed the upgrade themselves.
> On Gentoo the dictd files are in /usr/lib/dict/. And the trick did
> work! Now Xfce4 Dict gives me also:
> "wn "WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006)"
> n 1: an expression of greeting; "every morning they exchanged
> polite hellos" [syn: {hello}, {hullo}, {hi}, {howdy}, {how-
> do-you-do}]"

Cool.

> I was also rather surprised that Xarchiver dealt with the .deb package
> without asking many questions.

Didn't you already know that Xfce rocks?  :)

> > Regarding the proxy problem:
> >
> Thank you for taking a look.
>

> > Obviously, option a) is the better one as there are no changes in
> > the code necessary. But I'm not sure whether and how it will work.
> > So, could you test it?
> >
> > For reference see
> > ftp://ftp.kstu-kai.ru/os/unix/socks/how2socksify.html. There is a
> > script mentioned called "runsocks". This is what you need to get and
> > then run it with xfce4-dict, without having tested it, I guess it
> > will be something like:
> >
> > runsocks xfce4-dict -i
> >
> I was unable to download runsocks; the site seems down, and I failed
> to track a mirror. I tried however tsocks [4], but soon realised that
> it was pretty senseless, since I have an HTTP proxy server.

Ah ok, I see. So, then we can't do anything in xfce4-dict to help you
connecting. If you only can access the net through a HTTP proxy, you
_need_ some software which tunnels the traffic through the HTTP proxy.
But this far beyong the scope of xfce4-dict.
Unfortunately due to lack of experience with proxy servers, I can't
help you much with this. Good luck anyway.

> On a different note, I would like to suggest adding the English
> language Wiktionary to the default list of web-content dictionaries.
> At times it is preferred to dictionaries like wn.

Done in SVN, thanks for the hint.

Regards,
Enrico