xfce4-dict and WordNet

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Sep 11 08:41:47 CEST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:40:01 +0200, "Liviu Andronic"
<landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Enrico Tröger
> <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > Didn't you already know that Xfce rocks?  :)
> >
> That's a fact. ^_^
>

> > Ah ok, I see. So, then we can't do anything in xfce4-dict to help
> > you connecting. If you only can access the net through a HTTP
> > proxy, you _need_ some software which tunnels the traffic through
> > the HTTP proxy. But this far beyong the scope of xfce4-dict.
> >
> One could argue that it does fit the scope. From what I understand,
> xfce4-dict offers network-related functionality. It queries an
> Internet server, dict.org, and displays the results within its own
> window. I'm not sure how much differently these should be perceived,
> but many Internet-related applications provide (a certain degree of)
> support for people with "non-standard" connections to the Internet.
> From GTK+2 applications, I could cite Pidgin, gFTP and xfce4-weather;
> as far as I know, they do not rely on external libraries. To me, for
> the dict.org, and hopefully the future WR.com functionality, it would
> only be natural to see a proxy server support within xfce4-dict (say,
> honouring *_proxy env variables).

It's not that easy.
I'm not sure about Pidgin, but gftp and xfce4-weather-plugin are not
comparable to xfce4-dict's case because they both use only FTP- and
HTTP-severs this is something completely different. Don't mix them with
real SOCKS servers.
E.g. in gftp you can select a proxy server for FTP and HTTP connections
but not for SSH connections...but I'll have a look at Pidgin's code for
their SOCKS support.

Regards,
Enrico