ANN: midori version 0.1.0 released

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Fri Oct 31 00:35:53 CET 2008

Am Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:47:07 +0100
schrieb "Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc at gmail.com>:

> Hello Christian,
>
> I have another question regarding this release. From the ChangeLog:
> "v0.1.0:
>  + Remove the HTTP Proxy hack"
>
> I am curious on how Midori handles connections through the proxy. I am
> often in a situation to switch the Web browser from connecting
> directly to the Internet to using a proxy server, and vice versa. I
> also have the relevant "*_PROXY" variables set. With previous releases
> of Midori I could change the proxy settings "on-the-fly", but I can no
> longer.
>
> Do you think that in future releases Midori will allow users to
> graphically change the proxy settings? Or, perhaps proxy support is
> WebKit-related?

Work is being done on improving the libSoup network backend and there
very likely is going to be a way for Midori to obtain a handle to the
"SoupSession", which means that among other things the proxy can
actually be changed without any "hacks", provided WebKit is actually
built with the libSoup backend.
So to answer your question, yes, proper proxy support depends on
WebKit, and apart from the fact that hardly any API has been added
within almost a year, that's what we should be looking forward to.
Incidentally cookie management is another point that is going to be
possible with the very same "SoupSession" if it's there.

ciao,
    Christian