Taking another peek...

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 22 04:29:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:07:24 -0700 Grant McWilliams wrote:

> > > You will be able to change the menu to whatever you want but not
> > > via a GUI. You'll need to edit the menu file directly by your own
> > > hands with a little bit of knowledge about the menu specification
> > > being required.
> > >
> > > That's more of a (y|n)ay than a yay or a nay.
> > >
> > >   - Jannis
> > >

> So what is XFCE's long term plan for a menu editor? Are we as a
> digital society moving away from editing menus or is it just not done
> yet?

Unfortunately, the fd.o menu spec is not so easy to write an editor
for.  Much of it is lack of time, I suppose.  But I'd imagine someone
might start working on it after we get 4.6 out the door, and release as
a standalone package, which would then get merged into our core
distribution for 4.8.  I'm not saying I'm volunteering at this point,
but... maybe.

	-brian