Taking another peek...

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Oct 22 00:27:50 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:27:11 +0100
schrieb "Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp)" <s.maddox at cyorxamp.info>:

> >> - There was no 'Drawer' equivalent...  as in put launchers in the
> >> sliding drawer, and that on the panel (like Gnome).
> >>

> > If there is no such plugin (and I think you're right here), you can
> > still try to use xfce4-xfapplet-plugin to use the drawer plugin from
> > GNOME.
> >
> Cool, I didn't know you could do that - sounds like it'll be very
> handy indeed.  Don't suppose anyone on this list has had success
> stories with it and the kinds of things they've been able to 'bring
> over' to XFCE from the gnome panel and how they did it?

I've been using a few plugins using xfapplet, like that of the
revelation password manager. Works just fine.

> >> - There was no decent Menu Editor (like Alacarte in gnome) that
> >> used the freedesktop.org specification.
> >>

> > Correct. Xfce < 4.6 used a pseudo-standard menu system. 4.6 will
> > have good (but incomplete) support for the fd.o menu specification.
> > In 4.2 and 4.4 there was a menu editor for the menu system used at
> > that time, but in 4.6 there is none. And this kind of makes sense
> > because menu editing (technically this is 'merging') is exactly the
> > feature that is not implemented in the new libxfce4menu.
> >

> So let me get this straight, the way 4.2 and 4.4 did menus along with
> the original menu editor is dead and buried.  4.6 is now based solely
> on fd.o and not it's own fairy land menu system.  Does this mean that
> like in Alacarte, I can make changes and it'll only affect my panel
> and not others logging into the system?

Yes, but: Menu editors won't work in most cases. What you *can* do is
to copy the global menu file (like /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu
or /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu) to your home directory
(~/.local/menus/applications.menu) and then you can modify it in any
way you like. You can also create .desktop entries in
~/.local/share/applications/ to overload those in
/usr/share/applications or to add new applications to your menus.

What will not work is the use of <MergeFile> elements and things like
that. See

  http://svn.xfce.org/index.cgi/xfce/view/libxfce4menu/trunk/STATUS

for what is supported and what is not.

  - Jannis