desktop doesn't have different icons for different file types and dbus requirement and taskbar and toolbar at same place?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Oct 16 18:50:05 CEST 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > Is there any
> > run-time or build option to periodically check file/directory changes
> > without using DBUS?
>
> File and directory change notification doesn't use dbus; it uses gamin
> or FAM (I'd recommend gamin).  You'll need to recompile libthunar-vfs
> (probably a part of your thunar package) after installing gamin.

Mine was built with FAM. But I never started the famd server.

So I installed gamin (after uninstalling fam). Reconfigured and built
thunar (which provides my libthunar-vfs). And logged out and logged back
in.

I see no change. When I delete items on my desktop, the icon stays even
though the file is now removed. I do now have a gam_server process
running.

I don't know gamin. I thought thunar would tell gamin what paths to poll,
such as ${HOME}/Desktop/ (which is the desktop). And gamin docs say it
should work without needing any configuration. I have not setup any gamin
configuration.

I am using NetBSD, thunar 0.9.0 and gamin 0.1.9.

I don't see anything in the thunar documentation, wiki, or FAQ (on website
or in source) about using FAM or gamin.

So I deinstalled gamin, reinstalled fam, reconfigured and rebuilt and
reinstalled thunar. Started rpcbind and famd -T 0 -L. And restarted my
desktop.

And now the icons work like I expect. A little slow though. It seems
thunar would know when I click on an icon to recheck its status faster
versus waiting for FAM. Like right-click and delete does not remove the
icon for a few seconds later. Why wait?

It would be great if FAM and gamin basics were mentioned in the FAQ or
somewhere. (If I overlooked, maybe link to the docs from more places.)

Thanks