xfce 4.6B1 issues

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Thu Oct 16 18:15:39 CEST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:22:07 +0200
"Alexander Toresson" <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Sergey Manucharian
> <sergeym at rmico.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm trying to install xfce 4.6beta1 - everything is compiled fine,
> > but the xfdesktop won't start:
> >
> > $ xfdesktop
> > ** (xfdesktop:24866): DEBUG: saturation is 1.0000
> >
> > ** (xfdesktop:24866): WARNING **: xfdesktop: Could not locate a menu
> > definition file xfdesktop: symbol lookup error: xfdesktop: undefined
> > symbol: xfce_posix_signal_handler_init
> >
> > Another issue: the xfce menu button does not work.
> >
> > Looks like everything else is fine.
> > I'm runnig Archlinux 2.6.27 with xorg-server 1.4.2.
> > I have not removed the 4.4 prior, could it be the problem?
> >
> > Any ideas, directions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sergey
> >

> The signal handler stuff in libxfce4util is new for 4.6, so make sure
> that xfdesktop isn't trying to use the 4.4 libxfce4util.
> If you're trying to have both 4.4 and 4.6 installed at the same time,
> you will need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for one of them. If you're not,
> I'd recommend removing 4.4, as this would make stuff much easier for
> you.
>
> // Alexander

Thanks, Alexander! I've removed the old 4.4 and made a clean install of
4.6 - it's much better now - at least the xfdesktop is running and the
menu button works. But... Many of icons are missing, especially in the
"root" menu and on some launchers.

Another thing - the vertical panel doesn't get expanded. As soon as I
change it to "Full Height" it works, but after a logout and login the
panel becomes short, and I have to go to the settings and toggle the
height back and forth to make it work. The horizontal panel's settings
work properly. Looks like a bug.

Cheers,
Sergey.