xfce 4.6B1 issues

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:22:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Sergey Manucharian <sergeym at rmico.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to install xfce 4.6beta1 - everything is compiled fine, but
> the xfdesktop won't start:
>
> $ xfdesktop
> ** (xfdesktop:24866): DEBUG: saturation is 1.0000
>
> ** (xfdesktop:24866): WARNING **: xfdesktop: Could not locate a menu
> definition file xfdesktop: symbol lookup error: xfdesktop: undefined
> symbol: xfce_posix_signal_handler_init
>
> Another issue: the xfce menu button does not work.
>
> Looks like everything else is fine.
> I'm runnig Archlinux 2.6.27 with xorg-server 1.4.2.
> I have not removed the 4.4 prior, could it be the problem?
>
> Any ideas, directions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sergey

The signal handler stuff in libxfce4util is new for 4.6, so make sure
that xfdesktop isn't trying to use the 4.4 libxfce4util.
If you're trying to have both 4.4 and 4.6 installed at the same time,
you will need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for one of them. If you're not,
I'd recommend removing 4.4, as this would make stuff much easier for
you.

// Alexander