default desktop layout To: xfce at xfce.org

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Mon Oct 13 22:31:35 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Muayyad AlSadi <alsadi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We already have a problem explaining to people XFCE is NOT a stripped Gnome.
> but gnome too has too panels, so this won't help
>> But the default should imho resemble CDE.
> why? to die like CDE!
>
> what you are saying "we don't have any reasons for this layout except
> making people think that we are a free stripped CDE and we are not
> gnome" this argument degrades the value of Xfce
>
> as you might noticed many XFCE users change that layout just after first login

Let's not make too quick quantitative statements here! In this thread
people are much more likely to speak up if they don't like the default
layout. And similarly, just because you and the people you know change
the layout immediately, does not mean the majority of users does.

> so what is the point annoying all XFCE users for no reason except
> resembling a dead (and to non-geeks unknown)  desktop environment

Here you say "annoying _all_ XFCE users" (emphasis added), which is
just not true. I for one am pretty happy with the default layout, and
usually only change it minimally.

~David