default desktop layout

Diego Ongaro ongardie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:34:36 CEST 2008

> The advantages and disadvantages of setups as I know of now:
>
>  = Two panels =
>  + Makes optimal use of the screen corners.
>  + Gives the task list enough space on resolutions that are not that wide.
>  - Uses more vertical screen real estate.
>
>  = One panel =
>  + Saves screen real estate (given that the one panel is not that big like
> it is with e.g. KDE) for resolutions that are not that high (which might
> occur with the new netbooks which have enough horizontal space due to the
> website problem I mentioned above, but are saving on vertical space).
>  - Might cause clutter in the panels when too many items are added.
>
>  = Vertical panel(s) =
>  - Distorts websites
>  - Makes the task list less easy to read

I have two points to make:

1. Based on these arguments, the decision depends almost entirely on
the available screen resolution. Personally, I'm docked at 1920x1200
at home or 1400x1050 when not at home.

2. There could be more than one default, where one of those is
selected by either the distro, on first-run based on factors like
screen resolution, on first-run chosen by the user, reconfigured by
the user at any time, etc.

-Diego