Vertical alt-tab cycle window patch

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:06:17 CEST 2008

Hi

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:52 AM, David Pokorny <dbpokorny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Xfce list,
>
> I came recently to Xfce (from KDE...) and everything worked just fine except
> the alt-tab cycle window. I very often have 8 or so windows of gvim open,
> and I am very used to alt-tabbing through them. It was a major inconvenience
> to go from the KDE-style "vertical tab window" with a label for every open
> window to the Xfce-style "horizonal tab window" where a label is displayed
> only for the currently selected window. I searched for a while for a
> solution, but couldn't find one, so here is the diff for a hacked-up
> tabwin.c and tabwin.h. The label is rather crudely chopped at the first left
> parentheses (if it exists), which happens to work great for displaying gvim
> window titles...haven't tested this out for more than 20 minutes, so there
> may be unforeseen problems and so on. Hope someone finds this useful...any
> comments most appreciated :)

I am fairly open to improvements in this area (for 4.8, of course).
Unfortunately this does not scale very well, when the number of
entries exceed the screen height (which is easy to reach when you have
either a lot of windows open or a small screen).

On a mode general note, it's preferable to open a feature request
bugzilla (bugzilla.xfce.org) and attach the patch there. Also please
take care of coding style, and avoid "g_" namespace which is reserved
for glib.

Cheers,
Oliiver.