Xfdesktop does not display application icons properly

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Oct 1 23:33:32 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:52:27 +0200
schrieb Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>:

> Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2008, 22:27 +0200 schrieb Fabian Nowak:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > since several months with a rather old svn trunk version (slightly
> > after 4.4 release), I did not have any "nice" starter icons on the
> > desktop on my main PC with Debian, though I do not have any
> > problems with regular Debian packages on my laptop and Ubuntu
> > packages on my machine at work, i.e. most icons except for folders,
> > trash, home, are just simple i-am-a-text-file icons -- only for
> > this one and only machine.
> >
> > Do you have any idea of any dependencies that might have been
> > forgotten for a long time to check in the configure script? It
> > configures nicely all the time, and I tried current svn a few weeks
> > ago, same problem, even updated now.
> > Trying an apt-get install xfdesktop4 does not propose any non-xfce
> > packages to be added, so the  distro guys did not add additional
> > dependencies. Or are you aware of any cleanups in ~/.config that
> > have to be undertaken to make things work again? I had a problem
> > with irregular icon sizes at another PC, but already checked
> > that... Same applies for icon themes - using Tango  already for a
> > long time anyway.
> >
> > Dbus libs are installed, header files as well, dbus-daemon is
> > running.
> >
> > Btw., I pretty much like current svn xfdesktop, especially with
> > regard to how the context menus and desktop menus are handled, nice
> > work.
>
> Fixed it myself: Current Xfdesktop from trunk and installation of
> gtk-xfce-engine-2 made it run again. So I'd recommend including a hard
> dependency in the autochain for gtk-xfce-engine-2 (by depending on
> some files installed by the package, or introducing some
> package-config files in the engine  package if not already softly
> depending -- can't quite figure that out).

Hey,

I just skimmed through the thread, but gtk-xfce-engine-2 is not
supposed to be a dependency of Xfdesktop. I for one don't have that
installed at all on my Xfce 4.6 box where I use a Murrine theme at the
moment. And Xfdesktop works perfectly, although I don't care about
icons I switched them on just to verify that they work perfectly.
I would suspect you changed or installed something on the way that fixed
your icons. For instance the Tango icon theme would seem more useful a
depedency than a Gtk theme engine.

ciao,
    Christian