Xfdesktop does not display application icons properly

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Wed Oct 1 14:52:27 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2008, 22:27 +0200 schrieb Fabian Nowak:
> Hey all,
>
> since several months with a rather old svn trunk version (slightly
> after 4.4 release), I did not have any "nice" starter icons on the
> desktop on my main PC with Debian, though I do not have any problems
> with regular Debian packages on my laptop and Ubuntu packages on my
> machine at work, i.e. most icons except for folders, trash, home, are
> just simple i-am-a-text-file icons -- only for this one and only machine.
>
> Do you have any idea of any dependencies that might have been forgotten
> for a long time to check in the configure script? It configures nicely
> all the time, and I tried current svn a few weeks ago, same problem,
> even updated now.
> Trying an apt-get install xfdesktop4 does not propose any non-xfce
> packages to be added, so the  distro guys did not add additional
> dependencies. Or are you aware of any cleanups in ~/.config that have
> to be undertaken to make things work again? I had a problem with
> irregular icon sizes at another PC, but already checked that... Same
> applies for icon themes - using Tango  already for a long time anyway.
>
> Dbus libs are installed, header files as well, dbus-daemon is running.
>
> Btw., I pretty much like current svn xfdesktop, especially with regard
> to how the context menus and desktop menus are handled, nice work.

Fixed it myself: Current Xfdesktop from trunk and installation of
gtk-xfce-engine-2 made it run again. So I'd recommend including a hard
dependency in the autochain for gtk-xfce-engine-2 (by depending on some
files installed by the package, or introducing some package-config files
in the engine  package if not already softly depending -- can't quite figure
that out).

Fabian