New window placement - can it be customised?

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 23:47:39 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:15:54PM +0100, Alexander Toresson wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>> > By default xfce always seems to create new windows in the middle of
>> > the workspace, is there any way to change this?
>> >
>> > (I assume this is "smart placement" but I couldn't find anywhere to
>> > change it)
>> >

>> Did you take a look in the window manager tweaks?
>>
> Yes.  I found under Placement the following:-
>
>    Minimum size of windows to trigger smart placement
>
> However I don't see how that addresses my question.  What I want to do
> is change *where* smart placement tries to put a window.
>
> Without knowing what smart placement is trying to do there seems
> little point in changing the size of window that it applies to!  :-)

No, smart placement means that it tries to find an empty spot on your
screen to put a window on. When it does not do smart placement, it
puts the window in the middle of the screen. I do not believe you can
change it so it will put it in another hardcoded position when not
using smart placement.

// Alexander