New window placement - can it be customised?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 10:57:18 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Alexander Toresson
<alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, smart placement means that it tries to find an empty spot on your
> screen to put a window on. When it does not do smart placement, it
> puts the window in the middle of the screen. I do not believe you can
> change it so it will put it in another hardcoded position when not
> using smart placement.

No, not all.

Smart placement will always reduce the overlap of windows. If will
calculate the place on screen where overlap with other windows in the
smallest, so it will always succeed.

But that's quite an expensive algorithm, especially with smaller
windows. So the setting is there to adjust the size where smart
placement is to be avoided (this obviously depends on the system and
the size of the screenm this is why it's configurable).

If smart placement is avoided, then two solutions: Either the window
is placed in the middle of the screen or at mouse position. This is
the goal of the other setting, place window at center or at mouse
position, when smart placement is not used.

Cheers,
Olivier.