Printer Issue -- SOLVED

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 25 15:37:11 CEST 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I honestly don't know if this is an Xfce issue or an Xubuntu issue; I
> suspect the latter.

   Oops! I forgot yesterday to respond here with the solution I found.

   It is an Ubuntu issue: in Applications -> Settings -> Printer there are
two tabs: Local and Server. I had looked only at the former because it
defined the printer location correctly: as a socket. So, I assumed that the
system knew where the printer was to be found.

   However, that was not the case. When I looked on the Server tab I saw that
the default server location was 'localhost,' and there was a second choice
in the combo box: the socket. When I changed the server location to the
socket (to match both the local definition and reality) the message box did
not reappear.

   I'm rather surprised that the printer location discrepancy between the two
tabs has not been an issue before. Oh, well.

Rich