Where are the goals of XFCE.

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 11:06:04 CEST 2008

2008/7/14 Diego Jacobi <jacobidiego at gmail.com>:
> I agree. Lightweight is important. The fact that computer hardware evolve in
> the first world (USA,europe,Japan,etc.) isn't a reason to start wasting
> resources.

Why don't you run Xfce 4.0 on an old pc, if you do, you can use an older
version of gtk/glib too. I mean you just can't use the latest and greatest
software on a ancient computer. You probably want to, but in the way
computers are evolving, that's not gonne work.

And about wasting resources, well if you tell us where we're wasting, we'd
be glad looking into it. But saying we wasting resources on one hand
and asking for new (quite heavy) futures on the other hand is not making
any sense.

> Also lightweight is better for the energy crisis which all countries are
> having.

You really think working on old computers saves power? You do realize that
power consumption is watts * time. New pc use more power, but reduce the
time ;-). (and i'm pretty sure my core duo laptop uses less power then the
p486 + monitor i had a decade ago).

Regarding the settings manager window: the "Etiqueta de boton" string,
makes the whole window grow because the box is homogeneous IIRC.
Should be fixed by the Spanish translators.

LXDE is not a fork, although is uses _a lot_ of Xfce code. The toolkit they use
is also Gtk, so don't expect it to be a lot faster then Xfce, just more like
another 'lightweight' desktop walking a different path.

Cheers,
Nick