Simplified pager or similar

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 29 23:10:17 CEST 2008

John Coppens wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:51:47 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> Feel free to donate your time to help one or both of these things
>> happen
>
> I have no problem with that. I have already reported several bugs in the
> past, but I may be at my limits there. I have done some C programming,
> but I'm far from being as expert as most of the developers (I think this
> is the case for most of us users).

Probably true... just that people saying things like "having up to date
documentation would have saved me some time" is one of my pet peeves.
Given that Xfce is generally under-resourced, it tends to slightly annoy
me when someone asks for something we don't have time for.  Not picking
on you, specifically, because I know you have been active on the list
here in the past.

> PS: A query: are svn-archives binary compatible with the stable version?
> In other words, can I install only the panel tar.gz or do I have to
> install everything (main worry is incrementing the chance of
> instabilities)?

Annoying answer: it depends.  Currently, for the panel, you should be
able to drop the svn version right on top of 4.4.x and your plugins and
everything should still work without a recompile, as I don't think the
library interface version has changed.  I think ^_~.  Might want to
check the libxfce4panel major version after compiling but before
installing to your filesystem.

Personally, I suggest never installing *anything* to /usr if it's not
managed by your system's package manager, but that's up to you.

	-brian