Simplified pager or similar

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 02:45:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:20:17 -0300 John Coppens wrote:
>
>  > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:51:48 -0400
>  > ". Nanda" <pariksheet.nanda at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > On the Taskbar...
>  > > (Right click) Pager > Properties > (check) Show workspace names
>  > > Xfce Menu > Settings > Workspaces Settings > Workspace names >
>  > > (Double click to change name)
>  >
>  > Thanks, Pariksheet.
>  >
>  > I have no option to 'Show workspace names' (see attached screenshot).
>  > Version of Xfce is 4.4.2. Was this available in earlier versions?
>
>  Likely the opposite... development version.
>
>         -b

Hi John,

Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm using my distribution's package
manager to install Xfce directly from its source svn
That ofc takes care of Xfce's svn package dependencies.
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/xfce/wiki

> PS: A query: are svn-archives binary compatible with the stable version?
> In other words, can I install only the panel tar.gz or do I have to
> install everything (main worry is incrementing the chance of
> instabilities)?

Not just for Xfce, but in general stability is always rolling.
Simply using release of a software does not guarantee that it is more
stable than nightly builds or snapshots; just that bug fixes that the
developers work on actually supports the majority of their users.
So it sometimes makes sense to use development versions of active
software where patches that fix bugs are also applied to the source
code repository.

Now, since I've only been using Xfce from svn for 3 months, if you are
interested in doing the same, I would recommend it.
There are a few nice-ities over 4.4.2 that have spoiled me; the
biggest is definitely being able to right-click in any folder and
select "Open Terminal Here"

- Pariksheet