xfce4-mailwatch not connecting under transparent proxy

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 24 11:27:45 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:46:42 +0200 Liviu Andronic wrote:

> On 4/24/08, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> >If it's
> >  transparent, you don't need to set any env vars for anything.
> > That's kinda the entire point of a transparent proxy.  If it isn't,
> > then you're out of luck: mailwatch doesn't support proxy
> > connections.
> >
> That's curious. I was able to access the mailboxes, under the same
> conditions, with an older version of xfce4-mailwatch. It got upgraded
> along with a full system update (on Gentoo), and was subsequently
> removed from Portage, so that I couldn't pinpoint the exact version.
> All I remember is that for something like half a year mailwatch was
> checking my mailboxes (almost) flawlessly.

Well, the latest version in Portage (1.0.1) is almost 2 years old now
(whoa), so I really don't recall what changed between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1.
I was planning on doing a 1.0.2 release last month, but I discovered a
random 100% CPU issue that I couldn't track down.  I was in the middle
of refactoring all the networking code, since most of it is basically
crap.  I'm temporarily putting mailwatch on hold to get xfconf and
xfconf porting work done, and then I'll get back to it.

> Is there anything that I might try to make mailwatch connect? Could
> this be considered a feature-request for future developments?

I'm not sure.  You can try downgrading to 1.0.0 (simply copying the
ebuild to the older version number should do; I don't believe there
were any ebuild changes between the two versions), but I don't know why
that would change anything.  Otherwise you can wait for 1.1.0 and hope
that fixes it.

If you truly have an intercepting proxy, the proxy settings are
irrelevant and not used: the Wikipedia section you point to
specifically states that no client configuration is required.

You might double-check the settings in mailwatch for that server.  Make
sure you've selected the right kind of encryption, and the correct
port.  For example, for IMAP, STARTTLS runs on normal IMAP port 143,
while IMAPS runs on port 993.  If you've selected IMAPS when your
server only supports STARTTLS (or vice versa), a "Connection refused"
message would make sense.

	-brian