xfce4-mailwatch not connecting under transparent proxy

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 10:46:42 CEST 2008

On 4/24/08, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> A little confused: is your proxy transparent or not?

Having checked Wikipedia [1], the proper term for my proxy would be
"Intercepting proxy server". Basically it's a University proxy, and I
connect to the Internet through it.

>If it's
>  transparent, you don't need to set any env vars for anything.  That's
>  kinda the entire point of a transparent proxy.  If it isn't, then you're
>  out of luck: mailwatch doesn't support proxy connections.

That's curious. I was able to access the mailboxes, under the same
conditions, with an older version of xfce4-mailwatch. It got upgraded
along with a full system update (on Gentoo), and was subsequently
removed from Portage, so that I couldn't pinpoint the exact version.
All I remember is that for something like half a year mailwatch was
checking my mailboxes (almost) flawlessly.

Is there anything that I might try to make mailwatch connect? Could
this be considered a feature-request for future developments?

Liviu

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_proxy#Intercepting_proxy_server