compiz the xfce4 way?

JoeHill joehill at teksavvy.com
Fri Oct 26 20:05:54 CEST 2007

Andrew Robinson wrote:

> A fellow linux user told me about compiz, and I decided to give it a
> shot. I am on xubuntu (xfce version of ubuntu) gutsy. I have an nvidia
> card (using nvidia-glx-new).
>
> I installed the compiz package and the settings packages for it.
>
> I then went into the gnome settings and enabled the extra features and
> used the compiz-tray-icon to load the support.
>
> It is pretty much all working well for me, I didn't even need to
> install xserver-xgl or change my xorg.conf in any way.
>
> The one draw back is since this is really enabled through gnome and
> not xfce, I have lost some xfce functionality. This is because I am no
> longer running the xfce window manager. All the xfce window manager
> links in the settings manager will not run since it doesn't recognize
> the gnome-compiz window manager. This affects:

You may have enabled Compiz through Gnome Settings, but it has little to do
with Gnome. Compiz has taken over everything to do with what you expect from
your Window Manager. This is how, for example, it does things like the wobbly
windows and such.

> Window Manager
> Window Manager Tweeks

It probably gives you an error about 'unknown window manager', right? This is
normal. Because xfwm is not in fact running, or at least is not functioning as
your WM.

> at the very least.
>
> I am wondering if there is a more "correct" way to enable these compiz
> extensions for xfce4 so that xfce is still aware of my window manager
> and can manage the workspaces correctly and such.

No, because Compiz is now your Window Manager. Instead of workspaces, you now
have a virtual desktop which you can manage either with the cube or with the
scale function (like Expose on the Mac).

--
JoeHill