compiz the xfce4 way?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:36:37 CEST 2007

A fellow linux user told me about compiz, and I decided to give it a
shot. I am on xubuntu (xfce version of ubuntu) gutsy. I have an nvidia
card (using nvidia-glx-new).

I installed the compiz package and the settings packages for it.

I then went into the gnome settings and enabled the extra features and
used the compiz-tray-icon to load the support.

It is pretty much all working well for me, I didn't even need to
install xserver-xgl or change my xorg.conf in any way.

The one draw back is since this is really enabled through gnome and
not xfce, I have lost some xfce functionality. This is because I am no
longer running the xfce window manager. All the xfce window manager
links in the settings manager will not run since it doesn't recognize
the gnome-compiz window manager. This affects:

Window Manager
Window Manager Tweeks

at the very least.

I am wondering if there is a more "correct" way to enable these compiz
extensions for xfce4 so that xfce is still aware of my window manager
and can manage the workspaces correctly and such.

Thanks,
Andrew