question about fonts in xfce4-terminal

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 19 23:14:42 CET 2007

Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> [2007-11-19 20:12]:
>> J. wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking to switch from using aterm to xfce4-terminal. However my
>>> fonts that I use in aterm somehow do not display in the font-selection
>>> dialog of xfce4-terminal.
>>>
>>> Does the .rc file take font spec's like:
>>> -dec-terminal-bold-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
>>>
>>> or is there maybe another way of making xfce4-terminal using my fonts ?
>> I'll assume you're talking about Terminal...  No, it uses
>> fontconfig-style names (fortunately, yucky XLFDs are slowly going away).
>>   The font is configured via a GUI; no need to edit a config file unless
>> you really want to.
>
> But the font he wants to use doesn't appear in the GUI. However, on my
> openSUSE 10.3 system, this font appears as “DEC Terminal”. Looks like
> a Gtk/distribution bug for me.

Gah, sorry, I totally spazzed on that.  Well, if you can find the font
on the hard disk, you can add the directory to /etc/fonts/
local.conf (use similar format as in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf).  Then run
fc-cache as root and restart the application.  Sounds like a distro
packaging issue with the fonts in question...

	-brian