Terminal question

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed May 16 16:56:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 5/16/07, Jason Keltz <jas at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:

> I'm having a problem with "Terminal" version 0.2.6 with Xfce 4.4.
>
> If I enable the X composite extension in the X server (X.org 6.8.2.),
> and then I try to use the scroll bar to scroll the contents in a
> Terminal window, I get one line from the "previous" screen repeating
> through the whole terminal window.  This continues as I scroll back.
> Similarly, if I use "less" in a Terminal window to view a file, I can
> scroll forward fine, but when I scroll backwards, the screen fills with
> one text line from the "current" window, then that clears, and I get the
> same machine.  Interestingly enough, if I turn OFF the X composite
> extension, the scroll bar in Terminal works fine, and less doesn't give
> me the weird behaviour.  Any ideas?

Do you have the compositor enabled in xfwm4?

Xorg 6.8.x had some bugs that would make it unsuitable for use with xfwm4 compositor. There is a check for that in xfwm4 4.4 that automatically disable the compositor when using Xorg <= 6.8.x, unless the user forces the "--compositor=on" option on the command line.

Also, I've read (but not experienced myself) that the recent versions of VTE have some bugs that could match your description. Terminal uses ARGB32 windows to achieve true transparency when a compositor is running and it seems there could be some regression in VTE in this regard.

Cheers,
Olivier.