Terminal question

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Wed May 16 17:18:20 CEST 2007

On 05/16/07 10:56, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> On 5/16/07, Jason Keltz <jas at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm having a problem with "Terminal" version 0.2.6 with Xfce 4.4.
>>
>> If I enable the X composite extension in the X server (X.org 6.8.2.),
>> and then I try to use the scroll bar to scroll the contents in a
>> Terminal window, I get one line from the "previous" screen repeating
>> through the whole terminal window.  This continues as I scroll back.
>> Similarly, if I use "less" in a Terminal window to view a file, I can
>> scroll forward fine, but when I scroll backwards, the screen fills with
>> one text line from the "current" window, then that clears, and I get the
>> same machine.  Interestingly enough, if I turn OFF the X composite
>> extension, the scroll bar in Terminal works fine, and less doesn't give
>> me the weird behaviour.  Any ideas?
>
> Do you have the compositor enabled in xfwm4?
>
> Xorg 6.8.x had some bugs that would make it unsuitable for use with xfwm4 compositor. There is a check for that in xfwm4 4.4 that automatically disable the compositor when using Xorg <= 6.8.x, unless the user forces the "--compositor=on" option on the command line.

I didn't force the option on in the compile.  I simply enabled it in X
and then used the option in, I believe it was, "Window Manager Tweaks"
to turn it on.  Although the problem occurred whether the option was
enabled in Window Manager Tweaks/not.

Transparency of windows, etc. all seem to work okay.  Remember that
CentOS 4.4 (RedHat Enterprise 4.4) wouldn't be using the "default"
version of X 6.8.X .. theirs would be a patched version which probably
has patched for a lot of the problems.

> Also, I've read (but not experienced myself) that the recent versions of VTE have some bugs that could match your description. Terminal uses ARGB32 windows to achieve true transparency when a compositor is running and it seems there could be some regression in VTE in this regard.

It seems that I had an old vte 0.11.12 installed.  I've installed 0.16.3
and now Terminal is fine with the X composite extension enabled.  So
actually, it looks like the behaviour may be the reverse of what you
thought :0

jas.