How to get apps to work on remote X displays?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 16 00:30:46 CEST 2007

On 2007-05-15, Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>> What do you have to do to make apps like thunar work on remote
>> displays?
>>
>> When I try to run thunar through a 1M DSL link, it takes about
>> 4-5 minutes to start, and antime there's an expose event, the
>> window freezes for several minutes.
>
> Have you tried anything other than Thunar? This sounds like something
> unrelated to Xfce.

You're right, it looks like all GTK apps are unusable over a 1M DSL
link.

Tk apps are even worse -- they won't run at all:

$ skencil
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x1b6
  Serial number of failed request:  11

Motif/Lesstif apps seem to work OK.

> I've run Xfce over ssh on numerous occasions without this kinda
> trouble. Admittedly never Thunar, though

When did the toolkit maintainers decide to abandon network
transparancy?  Did I miss a meeting?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I selected E5 ... but
                                  at               I didn't hear "Sam the Sham