How to get apps to work on remote X displays?

Ken Moffat kmoffat at drizzle.com
Wed May 16 00:26:22 CEST 2007

Grant Edwards wrote:
> What do you have to do to make apps like thunar work on remote
> displays?
>
> When I try to run thunar through a 1M DSL link, it takes about
> 4-5 minutes to start, and antime there's an expose event, the
> window freezes for several minutes.

I usually use ssh to run X apps remotely, using an xterm. "ssh -X
hostname", then just type thunar in the remote xterm, which opens here
almost immediately. This is not exactly a remote display, since it is
using the display on the remote machine, but it runs the app on the host
with the display on the remote. ssh must have "X11Forwarding yes" in the
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

This might at least help you isolate the problem.