How to get apps to work on remote X displays?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 16 00:40:28 CEST 2007

On 2007-05-15, Ken Moffat <kmoffat at drizzle.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> What do you have to do to make apps like thunar work on remote
>> displays?
>>
>> When I try to run thunar through a 1M DSL link, it takes about
>> 4-5 minutes to start, and antime there's an expose event, the
>> window freezes for several minutes.
>>

> I usually use ssh to run X apps remotely, using an xterm. "ssh -X
> hostname", then just type thunar in the remote xterm, which opens here
> almost immediately.

Yes, that's what I'm doing.

> This is not exactly a remote display, since it is using the
> display on the remote machine,

That's true -- I was a bit sloppy in my terminology.  I've
tried it with a real "remote" display via the same link and
gotten the same results.

AFAICT, the GTK authors expect to be able to do millions of
round-trips to the server everytime anything happens (no matter
how trivial).  If you've got a link with a latency of more than
a few hundred microseconds, you're screwed.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I own seven-eighths of
                                  at               all the artists in downtown