Clipboard

Oblio apa.chioara at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:42:44 CET 2007

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:57:46 +0200, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
wrote:

> I'm not sure, I'm not very use to the mechanism involved with cut'n
> paste in X11, but AFAIK, copy and pasting requires that the destination
> understands the MIME type given by the source application along with the
> data.

I know that this is the mechanism, for Windows at least, not sure about
X11. Should be similar (I guess).

> In other words, I think it should just work, as long as the applications
> are able to understand each other's data format (like copy from firefox
> to a simple text editor will just copy the text while paste to an html
> editor will copy the html code).

Doesn't work. I tried opening two OO.org Writer instances, inserting an
image
or creating a drawing, and then trying to copy-paste. I'm pretty sure that
OO.org
would allow copy-pasting of its own data :) , and I told a friend with KDE
to test
it too. In KDE it works, in Xfce it doesn't. I installed Clipman, hoping
it should solve
the problem :/

> The clipboard plugin usage is more for persistent clipboard (ie keep the
> data available even after the source application has quit).

Oh, I see.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:48:00 +0200, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I tried this once, but really, you don't want this because the image
> handling of the Gtk clipboard is not very fast, so when you cut/copy
> some image data in the Gimp (which uses an internal clipboard for this
> data, but sends it when you ask for it) the plugin memory increases a
> lot.
> There were also some other problems with this when you use openoffice,
> duno exactly what happened...
>
> Nick

Hmmm... still, does anyone have another idea/solution? In KDE I know it
works, in Windows it
works, the applications I tried with understand the MIME type of the data
(because they're
just different instances of the same application, basically :) ).
1) Should this be counted as a bug or RFE?
2) If the solution is impractical for Xfce (adds bloat, something like
that), what would be a
temporary solution? (like Devil's pie is for those wanting automatic
window placement).

Regards,
Oblio