The Dizzy Spinning Desktop of Doom

Nick Urbanik nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 6 02:32:24 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

I am a happy Xfce user who occasionally gets stuck with the

Dizzy Spinning Desktop of Doom syndrome.

Let me explain.  I have my workspaces so that they
can cycle, so if I press M-C-right-arrow when in workspace 5, I get
back to workspace 1.  If I press M-C-right-arrow too rapidly, then the
workspaces get into an interesting state where they spin rapidly from
workspace to workspace, unresponsive to any key strokes.  I have found
that switching to the text console (with M-C-F1) and back with M-C-F7,
seems to restart X, and if I log in again, the dizzy spell is over.

1. Am I the only one with this behaviour, or is there a bug raised
   about this?
2. Any known workarounds (beyond being carefully slow when switching
   workspaces or disabling the ability to cycle the workspaces)?
3. Any known way to recover from this without restarting X?
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 902-71011 nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24