The Dizzy Spinning Desktop of Doom

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 02:54:52 CEST 2007

On 7/5/07, Nick Urbanik <nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I am a happy Xfce user who occasionally gets stuck with the
>
> Dizzy Spinning Desktop of Doom syndrome.
>
> Let me explain.  I have my workspaces so that they
> can cycle, so if I press M-C-right-arrow when in workspace 5, I get
> back to workspace 1.  If I press M-C-right-arrow too rapidly, then the
> workspaces get into an interesting state where they spin rapidly from
> workspace to workspace, unresponsive to any key strokes.  I have found
> that switching to the text console (with M-C-F1) and back with M-C-F7,
> seems to restart X, and if I log in again, the dizzy spell is over.

Spinning? Something about your terminology seems to imply to me that
you are using Beryl or the like. Maybe I'm wrong, and you're not, in
which case...

> 1. Am I the only one with this behaviour, or is there a bug raised
>    about this?

I've never heard of this behavior before.

> 2. Any known workarounds (beyond being carefully slow when switching
>    workspaces or disabling the ability to cycle the workspaces)?

Again, I don't know what's going on. You could try killing xfwm4 from
the text console before switching back to X, or perhaps Olivier can
help you with attaching a debugger and getting some info on it's
state.

> 3. Any known way to recover from this without restarting X?
> --
> Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 902-71011 nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
> GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson