Minor issues with Xfce 4.4 on FreeBSD

Michael Lestinsky michael at uugrn.org
Wed Jan 24 19:26:14 CET 2007

Hi,

first of all, let me thank the developers for this wonderful new release.
I anticipated it for some time, especially Orage is great. I installed
Xfce 4.4 from the FreeBSD ports-tree and I'm quite excited about the
improved performance, compared to the older 4.2 releases of Xfce. Most
issues after the switch-over are resolved, by now. However, there are
some annoying little items, where I'm not completly sure, where to look
for a solution. Maybe they aren't related to Xfce, I don't know.

a) Session-manager: The power-off function does a regular shutdown, but
   it doesn't power off my notebook. Although it should. I've tried digging
   into the code and it looks like shutdown would be invoked with the "-p"
   parameter. Extracting the poweroff-command from the xfsm-shutdown-helper
   binary and pasting it to a terminal window works as intended. Is there
   any other place where to look for it? Power-off did work with 4.2.

b) Firefox (2.0) - I'm using the "firefox -remote openURL(...,new-tab)" quite
   regularly, e.g. from my RSS reader. The problem: The browser window
   jumps from it's actual workspace to the currently active workspace.
   That's quite annoying. I don't want windows to hop on or off my work-
   space as they like to. I don't observe this behaviour with fvwm2 or
   KDE.

c) According to the battery-plugin for the panel my notebook's battery is
   constantly empty (0%). That's not true, sysctl hw.acpi.battery tells
   something different.

My system uses FreeBSD 6.2 and all applications are build from a recent
portstree. The system has (working) ACPI support.

Thanks,
Michael