Announce: Xfce 4.4.0 released

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Jan 23 19:41:46 CET 2007

Bo Thide' wrote:
> The icons in Motif/CDE are very pleasing (they were designed by
> perception psychology experts at MIT and professional graphical
> designers in industry and won awards for their design when they were
> introduced) and do not give as "childish" and unsophisticated
> an impression as most Linux/Xfce icons do.

I laughed at this for about 5 minutes. Sadly enough, not only does it confirm
that people think "good looks" is "timeless", it's also horribly wrong, and just
   really bad because experts from the stone age are making aestetical
statemtents about something which was invented in a time that anything else than
green-on-black was fancy, or even "pompous".

It's even more wrong that you quote it.

If you want to make statements about what icons people like, then you're bound
to fail. First of all you'd have to do a statistical method and gather a large
representative group, which would obviously eliminate other groups (like
non-computer users) and test their perception of "pleasing". Finding out what
people find pleasing might be harder than you think too. This is so wrong in so
many ways.

Getting a psychology expert to decide what is pleaseing is like having fashion
designed by designers. It probably wears, will likely look "interesting" the
best, and will definately not be suitable for anyone in normal weight/height
ratios, not to mention keep you warm in winter.

Thank god there are actually clothes vendors that make stuff we really can wear.

Thank god we have "childish" icons in linux, and we got rid of the ones from the
stone age. Once they're back in fashion you'll see them back for sure.

Cheers,

Auke