Announce: Xfce 4.4.0 released

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:01:34 CET 2007

Hi,
I'm not a developer of Xfce nor a user of CDE. But the things you mentioned
(color scheme, icons, two panels, autohide, ...) are very easy to configure
or to switch off.
Since I have some colleges who wish the times of CDE back, too, I know that
it's not possible to turn Xfce into CDE, but you can get very close.
But: please don't assume, that just because some wish they still had a
complete CDE look, that this is what most of the users want. Therefore it
will not be the standard look.
Also, the look is mainly changed by the distribution. Have a look at the
default dreamlinux compared to the default Xubuntu. They are both Xfce and
look totally different.

Cheers,
Stefan

2007/1/22, Bo Thide' <bt at phisp.irfu.se>:

> Dear Oblio,
>
> In your e-mail of Mon Jan 22 16:35:39 2007 you wrote:
> >
> > > Currently running xfce_4.4RC2 on OpenSuSE 10.2, I miss the possibility
> > > of creating a CDE look and feel of xfce4.  This was possible in
> > > earlier releases.  What I am looking for is a CDE-like front (bottom)
> > > panel.  Does such a thing still exist for xfce?
> >

> > Have you looked at the panel settings? :) Right click -> Customize
> panel.
>
> Yes, I have.  I removed the top panel (don't like the idea of wasting
> space on two panels), and used panel settings to make the bottom as much
> CDE-like as I could.  Still, I was not satisfied.  For instance, I
> cannot get the names of the workspaces displayed in the Pager of the
> panel (this CDE-like feature was possible in earlier releases of xfce).
> There are no "popup arrowheads" as in CDE.  And the icons are no longer
> CDE-like as they used to be.  And the colour scheme is too Windows-ish
> to my liking.  And the xfce panel autohide option is confusing and
> annoying (I prefer the CDE mechanism).  In summary, xfce4 seems to have
> diverged so much away from earlier versions that it appears impossible
> to turn it into something that I feel comfortable with.
>
> Bo

Institut für Astronomie und Astrophysik
Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Sand 1   -  D-72076 Tübingen