Announce: Xfce 4.4.0 released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 22 21:34:26 CET 2007

Bo Thide' wrote:
> Yes, I have.  I removed the top panel (don't like the idea of wasting
> space on two panels), and used panel settings to make the bottom as much
> CDE-like as I could.  Still, I was not satisfied.

>  For instance, I
> cannot get the names of the workspaces displayed in the Pager of the
> panel (this CDE-like feature was possible in earlier releases of xfce).

We used to have an old pager like this as you note, but it was never
ported to the new panel.  That's something that's relatively easy that
someone who is looking to get involved with Xfce development might want
to try.

> There are no "popup arrowheads" as in CDE.

Sure there are.  Just open the settings for a launcher, and add more
items to the list on the left.  With > 1 item, it'll create the popup.

>  And the icons are no longer
> CDE-like as they used to be.

That's up to you to configure.  Find an icon theme on the web that looks
CDEish, or create your own based on icons from xfce3 (or wherever).  You
can select the icon theme from the User Interface Settings panel.

>  And the colour scheme is too Windows-ish
> to my liking.

Then find a gtk2 theme that has a CDE or motif look and feel.  Google is
your friend, as are xfce-look.org and art.gnome.org.

> And the xfce panel autohide option is confusing and
> annoying (I prefer the CDE mechanism).

It's been years since I've touched CDE, so I'm not sure what the
difference is (I dislike and don't enable autohide anyway, so I likely
wouldn't have known).

> In summary, xfce4 seems to have
> diverged so much away from earlier versions that it appears impossible
> to turn it into something that I feel comfortable with.

That's a shame.  Feel like complaining any more about something provided
to you free of charge?  Go buy CDE if you want CDE.  You're also free to
use an earlier version of Xfce if you so desire, though of course it'll
be difficult to get support for it.

	-brian