Announce: Xfce 4.4.0 released

Bo Thide' bt at phisp.irfu.se
Mon Jan 22 16:47:04 CET 2007

Dear Oblio,

In your e-mail of Mon Jan 22 16:35:39 2007 you wrote:

> > Currently running xfce_4.4RC2 on OpenSuSE 10.2, I miss the possibility
> > of creating a CDE look and feel of xfce4.  This was possible in
> > earlier releases.  What I am looking for is a CDE-like front (bottom)
> > panel.  Does such a thing still exist for xfce?
>

> Have you looked at the panel settings? :) Right click -> Customize panel.

Yes, I have.  I removed the top panel (don't like the idea of wasting
space on two panels), and used panel settings to make the bottom as much
CDE-like as I could.  Still, I was not satisfied.  For instance, I
cannot get the names of the workspaces displayed in the Pager of the
panel (this CDE-like feature was possible in earlier releases of xfce).
There are no "popup arrowheads" as in CDE.  And the icons are no longer
CDE-like as they used to be.  And the colour scheme is too Windows-ish
to my liking.  And the xfce panel autohide option is confusing and
annoying (I prefer the CDE mechanism).  In summary, xfce4 seems to have
diverged so much away from earlier versions that it appears impossible
to turn it into something that I feel comfortable with.

Bo