some questions and some bugs(?) of release 4.4

Antonis Tsolomitis atsol at aegean.gr
Thu Feb 22 16:55:53 CET 2007

Hello. I have just installed 4.4 on a Mandriva 2007 box. It is a great
release! Congratulations to all!

I have a few questions I did not find in archives or googling.

Q1.
Since my laptop has a wide screen I like to have the panel on the left
so I can save some vertical space.
Now on the panel I have some launchers with more than one application.
The icon of the application 1 has a black arrow *under* it that opens
the drawer with application 2.

Is it possible to put this arrow to the *right* of the icon instead
under it? It was possible in the past
but not anymore. Maybe modifying a file by hand?

Q2.
Can I have an application without decoration? For example I use xclock.
Can I have xclock without the window manager's decorations?

Q3.
I really like the iconify feature which has disappeared from all other
linux managers. Having the panel on the left of the screen it would be
nice to be possible to iconify the applications at the bottom of the screen
or to the right of the screen. However, it only iconifies to the left of
the screen. Is this configurable?

Q4.
Icons after iconification of the applications do not move freely on the
desktop. It seems that there is some grid. Is it possible to refine the
grid's characteristics?

Q5.
I guess this one is some kind of bug: When I iconify my apps and logout
*saving* the session, when I log in again, some apps reappear (for
example thunar) but *not* iconified. Some others, like terminal,
do not show up (iconified or not) but they are running and they can be
made to appear by selecting them from the middle click menu on the desktop.

Q6.
A bug: the png file of the greek flag of the xkb package (from the
goodies) is corrupted.

Thank you for including iconification in xfce. It is very nice (and
different from the Redmont approach).

Antonis.