some questions and some bugs(?) of release 4.4

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 19:12:11 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 05:55:53PM +0200, Antonis Tsolomitis wrote:

> Hello. I have just installed 4.4 on a Mandriva 2007 box. It is a great
> release! Congratulations to all!

Hi Antonis,

> I have a few questions I did not find in archives or googling.
>
> Q1.
> Since my laptop has a wide screen I like to have the panel on the left
> so I can save some vertical space.
> Now on the panel I have some launchers with more than one application.
> The icon of the application 1 has a black arrow *under* it that opens
> the drawer with application 2.
>
> Is it possible to put this arrow to the *right* of the icon instead
> under it? It was possible in the past
> but not anymore. Maybe modifying a file by hand?

It's not possible.

> Q2.
> Can I have an application without decoration? For example I use xclock.
> Can I have xclock without the window manager's decorations?

devilspie: find windows and perform actions on them
http://wiki.foosel.net/linux/devilspie#undecorate

> Q3.
> I really like the iconify feature which has disappeared from all other
> linux managers. Having the panel on the left of the screen it would be
> nice to be possible to iconify the applications at the bottom of the screen
> or to the right of the screen. However, it only iconifies to the left of
> the screen. Is this configurable?

Minimized applications on the desktop?  No.  They are stacked on the
left.

> Q4.
> Icons after iconification of the applications do not move freely on the
> desktop. It seems that there is some grid. Is it possible to refine the
> grid's characteristics?

No.

Sounds tricky, please file a bug for it: http://bugs.xfce.org/

> Q6.
> A bug: the png file of the greek flag of the xkb package (from the
> goodies) is corrupted.

It is now fixed in svn, you can download and copy the file from
http://svn.xfce.org/svn/goodies/xfce4-xkb-plugin/trunk/flags/gr.png

> Thank you for including iconification in xfce. It is very nice (and
> different from the Redmont approach).
>
> Antonis.

Regards,
Mike
--
 Mike (m8t) Massonnet http://massonnet.org/     __oo
 GnuPG 0--" 0xF8C80F97                      ---(_)_">