XFCE Menu/Appfinder -

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 16:23:44 CET 2007

On 2/16/07, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> How do I add applications to either of of the lists?
>
> It seems that some things get added when installed while others do not,
> for instance I was searching for "iftraf" this morning and had to go
> through /usr/bin/ to find it.  Due to a mental aberration I could not
> recall the exact name, if it had been listed in the XFCE Menu under
> System along with "Etherape" etc. I would have found it easily.

The appfinder and the autogenerated portion of the menu scan standard
directories for .desktop files that describe the application[1]. If
you don't see your application, either the app doesn't provide a
iftraf.desktop file or installs it in an unexpected place.

You could a .desktop file to /usr/share/applications to see the app
show up. You could, if you were feeling frisky, send the file on to
the iftraf maintainers so others don't have your problem

[1] - http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

> It really doesn't warrant adding an icon to a panel but I guess I can if
> that's the only way.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Goodwin

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room