XFCE Menu/Appfinder -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 16 22:29:01 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>> How do I add applications to either of of the lists?
>>
>> It seems that some things get added when installed while others do not,
>> for instance I was searching for "iptraf" this morning and had to go
>> through /usr/bin/ to find it.  Due to a mental aberration I could not
>> recall the exact name, if it had been listed in the XFCE Menu under
>> System along with "Etherape" etc. I would have found it easily.
>>

> The appfinder and the autogenerated portion of the menu scan standard
> directories for .desktop files that describe the application[1]. If
> you don't see your application, either the app doesn't provide a
> iftraf.desktop file or installs it in an unexpected place.
>
> You could a .desktop file to /usr/share/applications to see the app
> show up. You could, if you were feeling frisky, send the file on to
> the iftraf maintainers so others don't have your problem

Thanks for the help.

I tried creating a file  /usr/share/applications/iptraf.desktop
constructed similar to others I found.  This at least gets the file name
listed in 'appfinder" which is a plus but it wont start the iptraf
application?  I could live with just having the correct app. name
listed, that was half the battle this morning.  But it looks to me like
this ought to work.  Entering /usr/bin/iptraf or even simply iptraf in a
terminal starts it.  What am I missing here?

/usr/share/applications/iptraf.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=
Encoding=UTF-8