Is it possible to have a system wide configuration of buttons offered when user clicks on 'Quit'?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 26 16:27:00 CEST 2006

Alexander Toresson wrote:
> On 9/25/06, wtautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I was wondering if there is an easy way to have a system wide
>> technique that would allow me to remove the 'restart', 'suspend',
>> 'shutdown',
>> 'hiberate' buttons when a user clicks 'Quit'. I have managed to get rid
>> of some of these
>> by using the xfce-settings manager. It would seem that this would only
>> a user to manage his/her own settings?
>>
>> fedfan
>>

> http://www.xfce.org/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-session.html#xfsm-kiosk-mode
>
> I at least think $(sysconfdir) is /etc, but on my system xdg/xfce4 is
> in /usr/etc. Maybe any of those will work?
>
> Anyway, that you've got a hibernate button in the logout dialog
> indicates that you're using a patched xfce4-session. It should be
> possible to disable it with the Shutdown kiosk option, but don't bitch
> on the xfce devs if it doesn't.
>
> Oh, and the docs above document 4.2. 4.4 may be slightly different.
>
> Regards, Alexander Toresson

I'll try the kiosk setup. It appears that gnome-power-manager is running.
If I could prevent it from starting up I think I would be in business.
My impression
was that by moving (removing?)
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-power-manager.desktop
I could achieve my aim.

I'm using Ubuntu/Dapper:dpkg -l | grep xfce

It appears your supposition that it may be patched is valid one:

I don't see anything in
ii  gtk2-engines-xfce
2.3.0cvs20050306-2                      Gtk+-2.0 theme engine for Xfce
ii  libxfce4mcs-client3
4.3.90.1svn+r21132-0ubuntu2             Client library for Xfce4
configure interface
ii  libxfce4mcs-manager3
4.3.90.1svn+r21132-0ubuntu2             Manager library for Xfce4
configure interfac
ii  libxfce4util4
4.3.90.2svn+r21550-0ubuntu1             Utility functions library for Xfce4
ii  libxfcegui4-4
4.3.90.2svn+r21598-0ubuntu2             Basic GUI C functions for Xfce4
ii  xfce4-appfinder
4.3.90.1svn+r21281-0ubuntu3             Application finder for the Xfce4
Desktop Env
ii  xfce4-battery-plugin
0.4.0-0ubuntu4                          battery monitor plugin for the
Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-clipman-plugin
0.6.1-0ubuntu4                          clipboard history plugin for the
Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
0.3.0-0ubuntu4                          CPU load graph plugin for the
Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-fsguard-plugin
0.3.0-0ubuntu5                          filesystem monitor plugin for
the Xfce4 pane
ii  xfce4-icon-theme
4.3.0svn+r19908-0ubuntu1                Xfce Standard icon theme
ii  xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
1.0.0-0ubuntu4                          mail watcher plugin for the
Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-mcs-manager
4.3.90.1svn+r21604-0ubuntu2             Settings manager for Xfce4
ii  xfce4-mcs-plugins
4.3.90.1svn+r21633-0ubuntu1             Special modules for the
xfce4-mcs-manager
ii  xfce4-mixer
4.3.90.1svn+r21697-0ubuntu2             Xfce4 Mixer frontend
ii  xfce4-mixer-alsa
4.3.90.1svn+r21697-0ubuntu2             Xfce4 Mixer ALSA backend
ii  xfce4-mount-plugin
0.4.5-0ubuntu6                          mount plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-netload-plugin
0.4.0-0ubuntu5                          network load monitor plugin for
the Xfce4 pa
ii  xfce4-panel
4.3.90.1svn+r21633-0ubuntu2             The Xfce4 desktop environment panel
ii  xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
1.9.1+r1149-0ubuntu5                    rapid launcher plugin for the
Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-screenshooter-plugin
1.0.0-0ubuntu6                          xfce4-panel plugin to take
screenshots
ii  xfce4-session
4.3.90.1svn+r21697-0ubuntu1             Xfce4 Session Manager
ii  xfce4-systemload-plugin
0.4.0-0ubuntu5                          system load monitor plugin for
the Xfce4 pan
ii  xfce4-taskmanager
0.3.1-0ubuntu6                          taskmanager for xfce
ii  xfce4-terminal
0.2.5+r21674-0ubuntu2                   Xfce terminal emulator
ii  xfce4-utils
4.3.90.1svn+r21673-0ubuntu2             Various tools for Xfce
ii  xfce4-verve-plugin
0.2.0-0ubuntu3                          Command line plugin for the Xfce
panel
ii  xfce4-weather-plugin
0.5.0-0ubuntu6                          weather information plugin for
the Xfce4 pan
ii  xfce4-xkb-plugin
0.4.1-0ubuntu5                          xkb layout switch plugin for the
Xfce4 panel