Desktop Icons

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Sep 14 18:22:13 CEST 2006

Keith Powell wrote:
> Mathias Brodala wrote:
>
>> Hello Keith.
>>

>>> The desktop icons are all just 'folders' and I would like to change them
>>> to the usual home, wastebin, etc, icons. Also, I would probably like to
>>> add a couple of new ones. But I can't find how to do it.
>>>
>> All icons on the desktop have to be placed in ~/Desktop. They will appear
>> immediately.
>>

>> Regards, Mathias
>>

> Hello Mathias.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Putting the icons in ~/Desktop doesn't solve my problem. I just get the
> desktop full of rows of icons and can't do anything with them! If I keep
> them inside a "fonts" folder, the folder appears on the desktop. Perhaps
> I didn't explain it very clearly - sorry!
>
> At the moment, on the desktop there are a set of icons which look like
> folders. I would like to change them. For instance, I want the 'home'
> icon to be the standard 'house'. The 'wastebin' to be the standard icon
> which looks like a wastebin, and so on.
>
> Usually, if I right click on the desktop icon and go to properties, the
> icon can be changed. But not with xfce.
>
> Also, I can't find a way of adding any more desktop shortcuts - for
> example, a mail program and a web browser.
>
> I have spent ages trying to sort it, but can't. I know that it's
> possible as I have looked at the desktops shown in the forum.

I'm not sure what you mean by "putting icons on the desktop".
Normal files will be shown as a file with the respective icon defined by
its mime type and the icon theme you chose. To add application
launchers, you have to create a link to a .desktop file (e.g. to those
in /usr/share/applications/) or create one yourself in the ~/Desktop
directory (current versions of xfdesktop let you create one by the
right-click menu, I think). To access a folder you can simply create a
link to that folder. Double clicking on it will open that folder in the
default file manager (Thunar in your case I guess).

HTH,   Nick.