Desktop Icons

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 18:11:35 CEST 2006

Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello Keith.
>
>> The desktop icons are all just 'folders' and I would like to change them
>> to the usual home, wastebin, etc, icons. Also, I would probably like to
>> add a couple of new ones. But I can't find how to do it.
>
> All icons on the desktop have to be placed in ~/Desktop. They will appear
> immediately.
>

> Regards, Mathias

Hello Mathias.

Thank you for your reply.

Putting the icons in ~/Desktop doesn't solve my problem. I just get the
desktop full of rows of icons and can't do anything with them! If I keep
them inside a "fonts" folder, the folder appears on the desktop. Perhaps
I didn't explain it very clearly - sorry!

At the moment, on the desktop there are a set of icons which look like
folders. I would like to change them. For instance, I want the 'home'
icon to be the standard 'house'. The 'wastebin' to be the standard icon
which looks like a wastebin, and so on.

Usually, if I right click on the desktop icon and go to properties, the
icon can be changed. But not with xfce.

Also, I can't find a way of adding any more desktop shortcuts - for
example, a mail program and a web browser.

I have spent ages trying to sort it, but can't. I know that it's
possible as I have looked at the desktops shown in the forum.

Thanks

Keith