I cannot get the shutdown and reboot options

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 19:24:04 CET 2006

On 11/30/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 17:13 +1100, Terry wrote:
>
> > The air here is fairly blue at present.  I just used visudo to edit a
> > copy of the original file.  How could anyone enjoy using that infernal
> > excuse for an editor?
>
>         It's like learning how to drive a stick.  It's a real pain and can be
> very challenging but once you know it you can't imaging walking
> everywhere instead of driving ever again.  But if the vi commands are
> still not your thing just run the gui version of it.  Point-n-click you
> way all over the place.

Well, it's not that hard, the basics are quite simple. The concept one
must learn is that of modes. The most used and most common modes are
command mode and input mode. When vi starts, it's in command mode.
Press i to get into input mode, then edit the file like you would with
any file, then to save and quit, press escape to get back into command
mode, then type :wq<enter>.

(note for Joe: this info is meant for Terry)

Regards, Alexander Toresson