I cannot get the shutdown and reboot options

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Nov 30 18:04:34 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 16:08 +1100, Terry wrote:

> 1)  I have never had a large enough block of time to learn vi.  It
> should have gone out with the ark.  I don't have any other reason to
> use sudo, so I don't use it at all.

	You need to get at least familiar with vi if you think there's even a
remote chance you will be on a UNIX or UNIX-like system.  It is the only
editor that is virtually guaranteed to be there.

	The best bet is to lean vim as it's far-and-away better and more
powerful than any of the usual GUI editors.

> I launched a GUI editor as root from the command line and saved it as
> root.  I also altered its permissions to make it executable: rwx rx rx
> (owned by root)  I still have the original file, also owned by root: r
> r -

	The sudoers file should not be executable.