request for enhancement: gdmsetup

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:18:53 CET 2006

Anthony Ewell wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
>> Find what?
>>
>> Why is it our job to provide this?  Your distro (apparently) added the
>> button for the switchdesk thing, so bug them about adding one for
>> gdmsetup.  This has nothing to do with us; we're not going to waste our
>> time providing settings manager wrappers for every single non-Xfce app
>> people might feel like using.
>
>      This request was for the XFce developers to consider
> including "gdmsetup" in the "Settings" dialog box.
> "gdmsetup" has some great functionality that is missing
> from the current icons in "Settings".  I am not asking
> the developers to write a new version of gdmsetup.

Right, and that's what I'm asking - where does it end?  How do we pick
from the multitude of *non-Xfce* software that have settings panels to
include an icon for in the settings manager?  This isn't our job, IMO.
If the distro wants to set it up that way, they should feel free to do
so (as apparently your distro has for the switchdesk utility).

>      Also, in another posting, I made a request that
> the developers consider giving some kind of indicator
> when "Settings" can not find any of the programs it
> normally shows in "Settings".  This again was not a
> request that the developers write new versions
> of any of the programs that it shows in settings.

All the settings panels that we provide already do this.  Most settings
panels are actually run inside the settings manager and aren't external
programs at all.  The screensaver plugin, and panel and file manager
plugin in Xfce 4.4 are exceptions.  If one of those doesn't provide an
error if the dialog can't be opened, please file a bug report against
the appropriate component on bugzilla.xfce.org.

>     I think were you are getting confused is that you
> think that all of the icons in "settings" were written
> by the XFce developers.  They are not.  Of the ones
> I have tracked down, they are standard programs included
> with most distros.  Some may be XFce specific.  Others,
> like switchdesk-gui, are not.

Nope, no confusion there at all.  As an Xfce developer, I think I should
know which things we wrote, and which we didn't ^_~.  Out of the
settings panels we provide with Xfce, the only one that launches
something not distributed as a part of Xfce is the xscreensaver settings
app, since we more or less assume that people will use xscreensaver with
Xfce (whether that's a correct assumption or not is irrelevant to this
discussion).

Providing a settings panel button for gdmsetup would raise the question
of why we don't provide one for slim, or KDE's display manager, or
entrance, or whatever.  We don't want to go down that road.  If a distro
packager wants to include a settings button for gdmsetup (or switchdesk,
or whatever), that's their option.  If you'd like to see this happen for
your distro of choice, please contact your distro packager.

	-brian